How Does Climate Change Affect Mental Health?
Hello, beautiful souls! 🌼 Today, we’re diving into a topic that often bubbles up when we talk about mindfulness and meditation—emotions.
First off, let’s clear the air: emotions aren’t good or bad. They’re like the weather—constantly changing and full of variety. Some days are sunny, others are cloudy, and that’s perfectly okay! What matters is how we greet these emotional "visitors" when they come knocking at our door.
Emotions: The Guests That Deserve a Seat at Your Table
Imagine emotions as visitors entering your living room. Some are familiar—like joy and love—while others, like anxiety or sadness, may feel like intruders. In mindfulness, we welcome each visitor, offering them a seat. Why? Because each emotion serves a purpose. They are signals, messengers, that something in our life needs attention.
You see, the more you try to avoid or judge these emotions, the louder they get. When you’re mindful, you're giving yourself permission to feel. That may make the emotion seem stronger at first, but that's just because you're finally listening. Once acknowledged, they usually quiet down and eventually leave, making space for new visitors.
How to Welcome Your Emotional Visitors Through Meditation
- Sit in Stillness: Begin your meditation practice by finding a comfortable seat. This is your welcoming space. Close your eyes, and take a deep breath. Feel the air entering and leaving your body.
- Non-Judgmental Awareness: As you sit, notice any emotions that arise. Welcome them without labeling as 'good' or 'bad'.
- Breath as an Anchor: If an emotion feels overwhelming, anchor yourself with your breath. Breathe in kindness, breathe out release.
- Thank The Visitor: Before you open your eyes and return to the world, take a moment to thank each emotion for the message it brought. Know that it will eventually leave, as all visitors do.
- Journaling: After your session, jot down what came up for you. Sometimes, seeing it on paper provides a fresh perspective.
Remember, you're never alone in this journey! Try out guided VOS meditations to delve deeper into your practise. May your meditation sessions bring you closer to your authentic self. 💖
--- your VOS